Duties and Responsibilities
- Trains, develops and motivates supervisors and culinary staff to meet and exceed established food preparation standards on a consistent basis.
- Teaches preparation according to well defined recipes and follows up and discusses ways of constantly improving the cuisine at the property.
- Display exceptional leadership by providing a positive work environment, counselling employees as appropriate and demonstrating a dedicated and professional approach to management.
- Should be able to provide direction for all day-to-day operations in the kitchen.
- Understand employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Provide guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and kitchen staff.
- Should advocate sound financial/business decision making, demonstrate honesty, integrity and also lead by example.
- Provide and support service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improve service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Delegates as appropriate to develop supervisors and subordinates to accept responsibility and meet clearly defined goals and objectives.
- Review staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Actively involved in menu development and maintaining updated and accurate costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the Food and Beverage operation.
- Determines how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and correct temperature of all food products.
- Ensures all equipment in the kitchen is properly maintained and in working order in accordance with local Health Department and hotel standards.
- Reviews guest satisfaction results with hotel management and other data to identify areas of improvement.
- Coordinates with the purchasing department for acquisition of needed goods and services.
- Ensure that all products are prepared in a consistent manner and meet departmental appearance/quality standards.
- Ensure proper grooming and hygiene standards for all kitchen staff.
- Ensure all kitchen employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Ensure proper purchasing, receiving and food storage standards in the kitchen.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on food quality, presentation and service levels.
- Actively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Maintain quality levels of receiving, storage, production and presentation of food.
- Ensure sufficient staffing levels are scheduled to accommodate business demands.
- Follows and enforces all applicable safety procedures specified for kitchen and food servers.
- Discuss daily food cost reports with key kitchen and team members.
- Review weekly and monthly schedules to meet forecast and budget.
- Attend scheduled meetings and other administrative sessions.
- Identifies the developmental needs of kitchen staff and provides coaching, mentoring, and also helping them to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations. Also interviews and hires new applicants for kitchen in conjunction with hotel management.
- Frequently reviews finished products for quality and presentation before the orders are sent to guest.
- Able to perform additional duties as requested by the hotel management as and when required.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to hotel operational Standard and Management Policy.
Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations. Having an eye for detail and creativity to look at things differently will be a key to developing the Food and Beverage Experience.
- Able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- Proficiency with computers and computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- 3 Year Hospitality Management or equivalent culinary university degree.
A minimum of two years’ experience in a similar capacity / function in hotel food service with a strong background in kitchen procedures and application.