Your Travel Questions Answered
Is St. Croix open to visitors?
Yes. The USVI reopened to visitors on June 1st. Travel restrictions are in place and updated daily.
What are the current restrictions for entering the USVI?
The Government of the U.S. Virgin Islands requires COVID-19 tests for certain travelers. A negative antigen COVID-19 test with a result received within 5 days prior to travel OR a positive antibody test taken within four months prior to travel are accepted. COVID-19 tests required if:
- You are a resident of a state with a positivity rating of greater than 10% (see https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/tracker/overview), or
- If you have spent more than 7 days in and are travelling from a state with a positivity rating of greater than 10%
- You are age 15 and older
Travelers unable to produce the required test results will be subject to quarantine for 14 days or until they are able to receive the required test results. The restrictions does not apply to travelers transiting these states to the U.S. Virgin Islands, but applies to residents as well as travelers who have spent more than seven days in or whose travels originate in the impacted states.
What is opened? Are there things to do while visiting?
- Many restaurants, accommodations, retail stores, tours and activities are open, but with restrictions and strict orders to adhere to territory-wide rules.
- Beaches are currently open. They close at 4pm on weekends and holidays.
What is closed due to COVID-19?
- Bars are closed UNLESS they serve food as a restaurant in which case you cannot sit at the bar for drinks, they must be served at your table with food.
- Casinos are closed until further notice.
- The Buccaneer Resort property, including the beach, golf course, spa, tennis, are currently closed to all non-hotel guests.
- We recommend calling ahead to confirm that the specific places you want to go are open and to find out their current hours of operation.
Do I have to wear a mask?
YES! “No Mask, No Service” is the current motto in the USVI for all businesses, accommodations and public areas, so please come prepared. Businesses have the right to refuse your entry if you do not comply. As a traveler, you should also expect to see employees wearing masks for your safety. Everybody is expected to wear a mask in public spaces and private businesses.
What should I do if I develop symptoms of COVID-19 while I’m on St. Croix?
If you start feeling ill or develop symptoms while on St. Croix, please call the Virgin Islands Department of Health immediately at (340) 712-6299. Be advised that if you do test positive for COVID-19 you will be required to stay on St. Croix at a hotel/facility chosen by the Department of Health for a mandatory 14 day quarantine. The cost of testing, healthcare, and any costs related to quarantine including accommodations, meals, transportation and changes to flights will be at your own expense.
What is the best place to find daily updates?
Join our Mailing List
Sign up for the Sand Castle on the Beach email list to get the latest deals, events and news.